The key features of the DIET Agents platform are that it is:
- Lightweight: The agents have a minimal memory footprint and inter-agent communication can be very fast. Agents can be thought of as small, mobile processes.
- Scalable: It is possible to run over 100,000 agents on an ordinary desktop machine and there are no inherent limitations on scalability when running DIET applications across multiple machines.
- Robust: The fail-fast, resource constrained execution of kernel functions lets systems gracefully cope with overload and failure.
- Adaptive: Feedback provided by the kernel enables agents to adapt to changing conditions and overload.
- Extensible: A high quality Object-Oriented design ensures that the code is general, modular and extensible. The ARC layer provides support for plug-and-play agent behaviours, enabling modular construction of agents.